So once again things have gone quiet on the blog – no surprises there for anyone that knows me. (Not the quiet part – I am very rarely “quiet”. But the falling off various wagons – that happens all.the.time.)
I wish that I could claim I had been busy doing this and that, but I really haven’t – day-job has been busy, I’ve been on a conference/holiday to Melbourne and in the background I have of course been crafting. But nothing really to write home about. Oh I LIE! I have recently discovered cross-stitch and am addicted. I made a cute little coin purse that I gave to a friend who wasn’t quite as excited as I was, but never mind – maybe she was “yippeeing” on the inside. Will eventually post some pics of said purse, or other similar varieties. Since the cross-stitch discovery, I then moved into blackwork, something that I had never heard of – again, addicted. I started with these groovy guys and I just love them. I’m working my way through the white aida cloth backgrounds and am enjoying seeing the progression of my stitching – my current attempt is by far the best. Again, will post pics once they are finished. Last craft obsession is needlework (are you sensing a pattern here?), actually I don’t know if that is the correct term for it. I guess decorative stitches might sum it up best. Recently I bought another Cath Kidston book, “Patch” to try and help me get into patchwork stuff – I find her projects easy to follow and just the right size to get a feel for something. Anyway – there is a crazy patch pattern in there I’m going to have a go at a stool cover (see DIY ravings below) and it requires some really pretty stitches. So last night I set about learning a feather stitch, double feather stitch and others. Looking forward to starting this weekend!
But the purpose of this post – which I realise it has taken me two paragraphs to get to! – is a new found love of DIY. Last time we went down this path I was a self-confessed DIY disaster. Not lacking in skills as such (I confident in wielding a hammer or paint brush), but SERIOUSLY lacking in motivation. Now I have previously bragged about my dedicated craft room, which is a haven – I love it. But since we moved in earlier this year the room has been dominated by hideous dark green shelves that I have found oppressive. A couple of weekends ago in a burst of motivation I made a start on sorting out these shelves and a week later, voila! I am so pleased with the results. Here’s how it went down:
- Roughly sand all wood covered in green paint
- Apply one coat of primer
- Apply three coats of semi-gloss white paint to wooden surfaces
- Measure the size of the backspace (??) of the shelves. Note: some fool previously covered this in loose hessian sacking – a NIGHTMARE to paint over. You will see from the before photo (actually a mid-photo, but hey!) that I quickly lost interest in attempting to paint the backspaces.
- Using a jigsaw, cut MDF shapes to fit.
- Rigourously sand the wooden shapes until they fit the spaces. 6a – try not to loose interest at this point. 6b – make a note to be more precise at point 5, if you ever embark on this journey again!
- Cut polyester wadding to size of shape. You can afford to cut smaller in order to use less of the wadding – it is stretchy.
- Cut various fabrics to size of shape. Allow a minimum of 1.5cm “seam” (?) allowance around all edges.
- Starting on a short edge, sandwich wadding between wood and fabric, pull fabric around to wrong side of wood and gun staple into place. Repeat along all edges, making sure to fold corners in as required.
- Carefully flip over to admire your handiwork. Be careful! At this stage you will have the two sharp points for every staple applied poking through the right side of the fabric.
- Take a hammer and knock each point down as flat as possible. This doesn’t have to be perfect – once they’re in your shelves, they won’t really be a problem – unless of course your shelves are in a child’s bedroom and sticky little fingers could reach them. In that case you may want to be very careful!
- Knock your shapes into their corresponding shapes, stand back and go “Aaaahhhh”. If you have been pretty accurate with your measuring and cutting with the jigsaw, knocking into place should be sufficient. A couple of mine will need to be fixed to the wall – I plan to try this with Velcro dots first so I don’t have anything (nails!) showing through my lovely fabric.
Now I just need to paint the rest of the room (laaaaaater, I’m done with painting for now) and move back in all of my books and equipment. Can’t wait!